Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt Click here to download a pdf
Defending the Free Market: The Moral Case for a Free Economy By the Rev. Robert Sirico Is written so well and so conversationally it is a very easy read. Buy it on Amazon here.
WEBSITES AND BLOGS I LOVE! Click on the name to get there.
BY THE NUMBERS BLOG This is my nerd friend David's blog about economics. You've heard him on the show and now you can read his stuff too!
BLUEGRASS INSTITUTE Free market solutions for Kentucky
MICHELLE MALKIN Great blog site with interesting links
BREITBART.COM Even dead he's still shaking things up from the grave
BLUEGRASS POLITICS If you are glutton for punishment
BUT ONLY IF YOU WANT TO DROP OUT In a move that should surprise no one, JCPS raised the dropout age to 18. Funny thing about the dropout age in Kentucky, according to this NPR story, our graduation rate has been rising without this age raise. Expect the cries for more money for education in 3...2...1...
KENT MASTERSON BROWN KNOWS OBAMACARE And he'll be in today at 10 to tell us the latest shenanigans as this behemoth collapses under it's own weight.
KENT'S LIST OF OBAMACARE FAILURES!
1. The CLASS Act. Allowed family caregivers to get paid by the government for taking care of mama. Repealed.
2. Small Business Exchange. Never happened.
3. High Risk Pool. Ran out of money for previously uninsured when they hit 135,000 instead of the 500,000 predicted.
4. Accountable Care Organizations. Hospital and Doctor's would coalesce to provide the best care to patients. As of yesterday, 1/3 of the hospitals in the pilot program have quit because it doesn't work.
5. Exchanges. 16 states have agreed to do this. The Feds were supposed to take over the rest. The Feds haven't even started in most states and it's supposed to be done by October. There is no way this will even come close to being done in time in even 20 states.
6. Repealed the filing of a 1099 for every purchase over $600 has been repealed.
7. Employer mandate put on hold until after the election.
8. Income verification suspended until after the election.
9. **Pending*** Medical device tax repealed
How are we paying for this whole thing again?
BILL BISSETT KNOWS COAL and as the President of the Kentucky Coal Association he'll be in to tell us the latest shenanigans about coal.
PARENTS, GET READY TO BE HORRIFIED I always share sexting gone wrong stories so you parents out there can talk to your teenagers about this stuff. This one disturbs me even more because of the cavalier attitude this young woman dispalys about having teachers and administrators and grown ups in general see pictures of her providing oral favors to another student. What have we done to this generation that they have no shame about this? I wonder if she'll get it when she's on the sex offender registry?
WATCH THIS IF YOU CAN I couldn't make it through the entire thing. This is being done on our behalf to the prisoners at Gitmo. Don't get me wrong, I am not going soft on you, but don't you think it's time these men faced military tribunals or SOMETHING? Are we going to detain them forever? Until they die of old age? What's the plan here? We need to at least charge these men and deal with them like war criminals, and if that means keeping them in Gitmo after they've been charged and sentenced in a military court then let's do it. But this video really made me remember that these men have just been held here indefinitely for too long. And if PrezBO tells us the war is over, they can't be prisoners of war, now can they?
GREAT READ ON OBAMACARE It's long, but you need to read the whole thing. Republicans have a bludgeon to use through the fall, let's see if they've got the stomach for it.
WE'RE TAKING OUR MARBLES AND GOING HOME Our President is not a mood to deal with Afghanistan right now. So much so that there are discussions about us leaving the building. Meaning taking our troops, and more importantly, the foreign aid attached to those troops and going home. Why? Because Hamid Karzi thinks he has more power than he does to order the US to do things and PrezBO isn't having any of it. I'm not sure how I feel about this. If the region completely destabilizes after we leave, why did we go there again? Oh that's right, because the Taliban allowed Al Qaeda to use Afghanistan as a staging ground for the attacks of 9/11. And if the Taliban take over again, what did we just waste trillions on? But I actually see the President's point on this issue. Karzi is in no position to dictate to us who we can and can't meet with. But does anyone really think a peace negotiated with the Taliban will mean anything?